SIIP is BIRAC’s social Innovation fellowship/award program aimed at creating a pool of biotech “Social Innovators” who can identify needs & gaps within communities and then can help bridge the gaps either through an innovative product development or services.
The immersion program is a unique social Innovation platform which provides the opportunity for clinical and rural immersion and also funding support for developing the prototype through mini kick start grant apart from the monthly fellowship to young social Innovators.
The program has already developed clusters across the nation on three thematic areas “Maternal and Child Health” “Ageing and Health” and “Waste to value”.
Most of the Social Innovators who are mentored through the program are successful in raising the follow-on funding or starting their own enterprise.
The program is implemented through BIRAC SIIP partners and mentored through BIRAC SIIP Knowledge partner.
BIRAC expects the Social innovators to reach a point where they either have a ready business plan to pitch to investors, or an advanced proposal with some preliminary results suitable for funding by BIG or equivalent funding source or a technology / patent suitable for licensing
The IP generated during the SIIP programme would rest with the social innovators and neither BIRAC nor partners would claim the IP rights
- SIIP currently have four SIIP Implementation partners pan India and Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai as knowledge partner.
- Till date “Maternal and Child Health”, “Ageing and Health” and “Waste to Value” clusters have been created across nation
- 35 social innovators are mentored under SIIP
- 10 SIIP fellows have received follow-on-funding from either BIRAC or other funding agencies.
- More than 70 novel solutions identified
- 12 prototypes developed against society’s most pressing problems